Why is it so hard to eat healthy foods during Christmas? Why can’t we stay away from unhealthy foods and drinks during the holidays?
What is it about the season that makes even fitness enthusiasts like me let go of counting calories and eating like a whale? Laughs.
I have been eating cake, rice and fried meat since Christmas day while my salad and fruits are cooling off in the fridge. I can’t count everything I have eaten for three days now. It’s better left unsaid.
Let me also confess that I have been drinking Amarula since boxing day morning. I just hope I don’t add 5kg before January 1st 2021. It won’t be funny. I can’t lose all my hard work in a week.
Anyways, even though you are watching your weight, you don’t need to deprive yourself of your favorite foods. You don’t have to eat only boring foods, or fell guilty about giving yourself sweet treats at this time.
If you want to know how to eat healthy during Christmas, here are 10 things you can do to enjoy your favorite foods and not add weight during the holiday season:
1. Stock your fridge with healthy foods as well as fruits and vegetables. You can replace your craving for fizzy drinks with pineapple or apple juice.
2. Don’t eat everything you are served at parties. Drink water and pause for some seconds before eating to avoid overeating.
3. Don’t go to parties during the holidays while you are hungry. The tendency to overeat unhealthy foods will be high.
4. Drink lots of water even if you have the craving to take beer, red wine, Irish cream, and energy drinks during Christmas holidays.
5. Dance your way to burning extra calories at this season. Dancing and taking long walks during the Christmas season can help you burn some calories.
6. Eat your vegetables. Even though it may not feel like it, the holiday season is the vest time to eat your vegetables.
7. Even if you have to shop during Christmas season, don’t do it when you are hungry. You might be tempted to eat cookies, biscuits and sweets.
8. Cook with healthy oils. Avoid too much fried foods and extra seasonings. They add up your calories. Cook your foods rather than fry them.
9. Don’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Alcohol increases your appetite and diminishes your ability to control what you eat all day long.
10. Don’t eat late at night. I know this is almost impossible at this time but do it for your waistline.
Even though food is an important part of the holidays, your focus should be on family, friends, joy and laughter. Create the balance between what you eat and enjoying treats once in a while during Christmas time.
The post Why is it so hard to eat healthy foods during Christmas holiday? appeared first on Girls Nigeria.